With over four million vans on the UK’s roads, it is vital to improve safety and compliance within the industry and help businesses of all sizes professionalise their van operations. With this in mind, this spring’s Freight Transport Association Van Excellence Operational Briefings include an unrivalled line-up of speakers, and will explore risk and driver management and discuss best practice and compliance issues.
The briefings, which are sponsored by Mercedes-Benz Vans, take place on 15 February in Harrogate, 22 February at Twickenham Stadium in London and on 1 March at Villa Park, Aston Villa Football Club in Birmingham. They are designed to assist any van operator, from large fleets to those with just one vehicle, whether they are an FTA member or not. Delegates attending last year gave the briefings a 93% approval rating.
Van Excellence is an industry-led initiative which aims to enhance standards of van operator compliance, celebrate operators who demonstrate excellence and represent the interests of the van industry. The scheme was launched in 2010 and recently won a Prince Michael of Kent International Road Safety Award.
Topics to be covered at the briefings include:
- A dramatised serious road traffic collision enacted with mock police interviews under caution
- Best practice for managing van drivers
- Protecting against drug-driving: explaining the changes to legislation and exploring practical ways for operators to manage their responsibilities
- Managing driver health issues – lessons learned from recent well publicised cases
- Reducing driver distraction and understanding van driver psychology
- Strategies for managing drivers and reducing risk
- One fateful day – the repercussions
Mark Cartwright, FTA’s Head of Vans, said: “Van drivers are typically either employed as an engineer or craftsman who just happens to drive a van or, in the delivery sector, are fairly transient with operators experiencing a high turnover of staff. This, coupled with extended management structures, makes driver management a challenge and these briefings are aimed at giving businesses the advice and help they need to professionalise their operation and improve safety and compliance.”
The Van Excellence Operational Briefings 2017 are supported by ARI, Bott, Brigade Electronics, Hertz Van Rental and Lex Autolease. They are open to all van operators and the cost to attend is £50 + VAT per delegate – for further information or to book a place go to http://www.fta.co.uk/events