Shocking new research by YourParkingSpace reveals that almost a quarter of Brits have seen or been involved in a parking dispute.
Even more disturbing is that parking arguments often escalate from verbal exchanges with nearly four million people in the UK having been threatened with physical violence.
Harrison Woods, managing director at online parking portal YourParkingSpace, said: “Our survey shows that UK motorists are at each other’s throats, more often than not because of a lack of car parking spaces.
“Yet more disturbing is that the threat of physical violence appears to be prevalent with many angry motorists prepared to use their fists to sort out a parking dispute.”
Of those surveyed, one-in-four said they had been involved in or witnessed an argument about car parking, while almost one-in-ten had been threatened with physical violence.
More than one-in-ten Brits also knew of someone else who had come close to being punched over a parking quarrel.
Meanwhile, the YourParkingSpace survey reveals that stress levels have reached boiling point for almost one-in-five due to a lack of parking spaces, shortly followed by expensive car park charges, people who park in incorrect spaces and motorists who take up too much space.
Just finding coins for a parking meter gets almost two million Brits hot under the collar!
And the motoring battleground is taking place wherever a parking space is found – from residential streets, to outside shops, schools, hospitals and train stations.
Harrison added: “It’s worrying that so many people lose their temper over the everyday task of parking a car, usually because they cannot find a space available. Pre-booking a car parking space can take away the stress and avoid any nasty confrontations.”
YourParkingSpace has five handy tips to take the stress out of parking:
- Give yourself time. Allowing an extra few minutes means you won’t be rushing around looking for a parking space if you are running late.
- Use technology. Many modern cars boast sophisticated self-parking systems.
- Think of your fellow motorists. Leaving enough space when parking your car is a common courtesy to other road users and will also make it easier for you to manoeuvre out of the space.
- Pre-book parking space. YourParkingSpace list thousands of driveways, garages and empty spaces across the UK which are often close to town and city centres, local amenities and transport hubs.
- Face facts. Sometimes the ideal or closest parking space might be taken although there are plenty of nearby alternatives. If that’s the case then just grin and bear it. After all, a few minutes’ walk is some extra exercise!