Results of Goodyear’s survey
Goodyear discuss the future of road transportation
Goodyear have recently published a whitepaper, Mobility of the Future: Smart Fleets and the Future of Road Transportation, outlining their recommendations for the fleet industry, including incentives for truck fleets to purchase high label-rated tyres and the mandatory fitment of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) in commercial vehicles similar to current rules for passenger cars.
The white paper is based on a survey of 900 fleets of varying sizes from across Europe and shows that 53% of fleet managers favour more incentives for environmentally–friendly fleets, and 60% favor incentives for buying fuel-efficient tyres.
Other recommendations from the report included:
- Offering incentives for fuel efficient fleets;
- Clarity on reforms to rules related to weights and dimensions of commercial vehicles;
- Further guidelines on cross-border operations of larger vehicles;
- More support to make the most from new telematics technology like harmonized standards for telematics;
- Extra support from regulators to the road fleet sector to attract and retain skilled drivers.
One in ten fleet managers cite the impact of regulations as one of the top two challenges facing the road industry as a whole and almost three in four fleet managers believe that reducing fuel taxes would have a positive impact on the road freight industry.
Michel Rzonzef, Vice President of the Commercial Business Unit for Goodyear Europe, Middle East and Africa said: “Our research shows that the road freight industry is willing to become even more sustainable. It clearly points out that fleets are already investing in technologies reducing fuel consumption and need further support from European and national regulators. Our White Paper provides actionable recommendations how the institutions can help the transport industry to drive a sustainable future.”