Drivers urged to think ahead when driving abroad

Monday, February 4, 2019 - 08:53
Comments off
BVRLA Chief Executive Gerry Keaney

BVRLA Chief Executive Gerry Keaney

The UK trade body for the vehicle rental and leasing industry is urging drivers to think ahead about what documentation is needed when they take a vehicle abroad.

The advice from the BVRLA comes on the day that the government has published further guidance on International Driving Permits and Green Cards, as part of its no-deal-Brexit preparations.

BVRLA Chief Executive Gerry Keaney said: “We must do all we can to protect drivers from inadvertently falling foul of the rules, by making sure that they are kept well-informed about what documentation is required when taking a vehicle abroad.

“We are reminding drivers of leased and rented vehicles of their obligation to get a VE103 certificate from their hire or lease company before taking their vehicle overseas. It is essential documentation that our members provide customers with to prove that they have permission to drive the vehicle. Without it, they can be subject to delays at the border, or in the worst instance, have their vehicle impounded.”

From today, 2,500 Post Office branches will be selling International Driving Permits (IDP). Previously only 65 branches provided this service. Depending upon the outcome of EU-Exit negotiations, UK citizens may need to carry an IDP as well as their UK driving licence when driving on the continent.

Drivers can find out more about the VE103 on the BVRLA website and should visit the DVLA or websites to check the latest guidance on documents required when driving abroad.

Comments are closed.

Advertise here