GreenFleet returns to Greater Manchester
By Mark Salisbury
Friday, March 9, 2018 - 10:00
GreenFleet is returning to MANCHESTER on the 15th March 2018! Staged in association with Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM), this Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) showcase will be held at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester.
Road transport in Greater Manchester accounts for 65% of nitrogen oxide (NOx) and 79% of particulate emissions, along with 31% of carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions. NOx are the most serious air pollutants and there’s strong evidence that air pollution and greenhouses gases cause significant harm to the environment and to the health of communities, and can also damage our economy. Both short- and long-term exposure to air pollutants affects people’s health, with poor air quality contributing to respiratory illness, heart disease and some cancers. As a result of this a GREATER MANCHESTER AIR QUALITY ACTION PLAN 2016 – 2021 has been created.
The primary objectives of the plan are to improve air quality across Greater Manchester and to embed low-emission behaviours into the culture of its organisations and lifestyles by 2025, whilst at the same time supporting the UK Government in meeting all EU thresholds for key air pollutants at the earliest date. This can be achieved by:
- Reducing Traffic volume
- Increase Efficiency
- Improving Company Fleets – by incentivising the replacement of older, more polluting vehicles with newer, smaller, cleaner, lower-emission vehicles
This confirms just how important it is that Greater Manchester fleets are on-board with the vision of TfGM and all play their part in reaching the 2025 target.
So, you may well be asking yourselves “It’s all well and good saying that these ULEVs can help save the planet, and also save us money… but do they really work?” Let’s compare the average running costs of an EV versus a diesel or petrol vehicle:
- Fuel costs for a conventional car average 12-pence per mile, equating to £1,440, based on an annual mileage of 12,000. Compare that to an EV and the average cost per mile can be as low as 2-pence, making the annual expense just £240! – just imagine the savings on an entire fleet!
- EV’s can be charged using any of the growing number of public charging points being installed up and down the UK, or using work place charging should your organisation take the initiative to make the installation. Grants are available for the installation of workplace and home charging, if your drivers take their vehicles home at night.
- Pure EVs are Zero-Emission, meaning your CO₂ and NOx output is reduced significantly, meaning you are doing all you can to help improve air quality across Greater Manchester.
GreenFleet GREATER MANCHESTER is designed to educate YOU (the Fleet or Transport Manager: Those that make and/or influence the decisions on the organisations ‘Fleet DNA’) on ULEV’s and how introducing them into your fleet operation can save you £Thousands, whilst also being kinder to the environment!
The unique format of the conference is designed to give you a ‘Touch, Taste, Feel’ experience, and we achieve this by:
- Enabling you and your colleagues to ‘experience’ the latest ULEVs first-hand, by Test Driving on a specified local route, to give you a realistic experience. You will be accompanied by experts from the manufacturers, all designed to make sure that your questions are answered there and then.
- Attend keynote presentations from industry experts, including TfGM and OLEV (Office for Low Emissions Vehicles), as well as TV presenter and motoring journalist Quentin Willson (host). This element of the event will highlight where Greater Manchester is at with public infrastructure, the latest info on car and van grants, whilst also giving you an opportunity to ask all the burning questions you have!
- Round Table break-out Sessions, giving you the opportunity to speak to the vehicle manufacturers, solution providers and network with other fleet professionals and EV owners.
For any further information, or to book your FREE place please contact Lauren at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will endeavour to get back to you within 24 hours. Please note… Spaces are limited!