A centenary brand
With its 100-year history and rich heritage, the Citroën brand has always adapted to the changing needs of customers. Active in the light commercial vehicle (LCV) market since 1928, and having launched pioneering models including the C4 Van, Type H and 2CV Van, the brand boasts a proven track record in all sectors of the van market.
The LCV market is strategic for Citroën.
- The Citroën brand posted growth of 3.5% in the European LCV market in 2018, outperforming the market’s 3.0% rise, and gaining a 9.5% market share. The brand moved up a spot in the rankings of top-selling brands in Europe, joining the top five. The momentum was driven by the European success of recent launches including Dispatch/SpaceTourer, with over 140,000 sales since launch in 2016, and New Berlingo Van/Berlingo, which has already sold over 80,000 units since launch in September 2018.
- In the UK, Citroën has delivered an excellent result in the LCV market with nearly 8,000 units sold in Q1 2019, a 7.4% increase year on year. Despite recently launching, New Berlingo Van enjoyed year on year growth of 5.3% and a hugely impressive segment share of 18.3%, placing it firmly on the podium. Dispatch continues to impress in its segment, with +29% growth on the previous year, well above the market average. The current Citroën Relay range enjoyed growth of 1% in a segment down by 7% in Q1 2019. The introduction of a new Relay range from July 2019 is intended to replicate the success experienced across the rest of the Citroën LCV range.
New Relay Range: bespoke comfort
The Relay van, offering highly competitive payload and impressive load volume, has been upgraded, and the range extended to adapt to all needs.
Catering for the requirements of numerous trades, the Citroën Relay range comprises a wide range of body styles, with four lengths (L1, L2, L3, L4) on three wheelbases (3.00m, 3.45m, 4.04m) and with three roof heights (H1, H2, H3). Relay van is available in eight body styles including a Crew Van, with load volume ranging from 8m3 to 17m3 for the panel vans. Citroën Relay boasts standout styling and class-leading comfort. The front end is dynamic and robust, with headlights featuring LED daytime running lights on ‘Driver’ versions. The design and ergonomics of the optimally designed Relay make the van a cinch to use and importantly, make loading much easier thanks to its low loading height, impressive load volume and optimised dimensions.
Relay targets a broad range of professionals, from self-employed tradespeople to construction, delivery and service industries, as well as local authorities. Serving as a true office on wheels, Relay builds on its strengths by providing an optimised solution for each business segment, offering bespoke interior comfort on work sites, on the open road, or in the city, as well as customised equipment. The new model has moved upmarket to meet customer expectations and boasts an extensive set of options.
Faithful to the brand’s LCV strapline, “Inspiré par Pro”, the Citroën Relay range is fine-tuned to different needs, following in the footsteps of New Berlingo Van, recently voted International Van of the Year, and Citroën Dispatch. The Relay range now comprises four versions and two of them are new: Worker and Driver, designed for different users, distinguished by their specific features.
- Relay WORKER targets professionals transporting equipment and people to all types of work sites, often those difficult to access. Featuring underbody protection, front mud flaps (all body variants) and rear mud flaps (vans), it also boasts improved grip through the fitment of Grip Control with Hill Descent Control and multi-season tyres. Cabin equipment includes an audio system with a Bluetooth hands-free kit and USB socket, a cruise control/speed limiter function, and a dashboard-mounted clipboard.
- Relay DRIVER is designed for LCV customers who make longer journeys or numerous deliveries both in and out of the city. It stands out with its driving comfort, supported by the following equipment: a USB charging socket, reversing camera, navigation system and Drive Assist Pack (including Active Safety Brake, Lane Departure Warning System, automatic headlamps with smart beam function, automatic front wiper and speed sign recognition).
The new entry-level Relay X features ABS, ESP, driver airbag, Hill-start Assist, 12V socket and a full steel bulkhead, while the popular Enterprise model specification includes rear park assist, MP3 audio system with a 5-inch colour screen including satellite navigation, driver’s seat with arm rest, height adjustment and lumbar adjustment. These features make the Citroën Relay an essential partner for business customers with varied business activities and needs, in a particularly demanding LCV market.
New modern equipment
Citroën Relay is now available with the blind spot monitoring system that can take account of trailers, and rear traffic alert, which detects vehicles up to 50 metres away coming from the left or right when drivers shift into reverse. Relay is also now fitted as standard with a telematics box for Free2Move Connect Fleet Services, including fuel consumption monitoring, vehicle tracking in the event of theft, vehicle tracking for fleets, maintenance monitoring and eco-driving.
New Euro 6 engines
Like New Berlingo Van and Dispatch, the new Relay range is adaptable to all types of van user, both urban and long-distance. In addition to the acoustic insulation and unrivalled suspension comfort, Relay features enhanced driving pleasure and optimised operating costs. The upgrades were introduced in anticipation of the new Euro 6.2 standard, with latest-generation engines optimised for fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. The latest Euro 6.2-compliant 2.2L BlueHDi engine replaces the current 2.0L. It is available with a six-speed manual gearbox and three power levels ranging from 120hp to 165hp: BlueHDi 120 S&S 6-speed manual, BlueHDi 140 S&S 6-speed manual, BlueHDi 165 S&S 6-speed manual.
Citroën Relay Electric: upcoming full electric version
Fully in tune with changing customer demands, Citroën Relay is taking things even further. To optimise urban operation, Citroën is confirming the launch in the next few months of a full electric version of the Relay, seen for the first time at the Birmingham CV Show at the end of April. Manufactured in Italy at the Sevel site in Val di Sangro with certified electrical conversion by our partner BD AUTO, Citroën Relay Electric will supplement the full electric range for professionals alongside Citroën Berlingo Electric. This development reasserts the brand’s ambition to market an electrified version of each of its models by 2025, both passenger car and LCV.
With no compromises on driving performance or useful features, the new “zero-emission” offering will stand as a real competitive advantage for professional customers and their varied daily requirements, thanks to:
- A broad offering covering the body styles; L1 and L3.
- Best-in-class range in the segment with two options depending on the body style: 141 miles** (NEDC cycle) for L1 models, and 169 miles** (NEDC) for L3. (The figures are subject to certification and vary according to terrain, payload, driving style and weather conditions.)
**225 km for L1 and 270 km L3.